All parts of a business work together. I like to break it down into People, Process, and Technology. They need to do more than co-exist, in such a way that it is seamless. Whether it is planning, marketing, sales, delivery, or customer service, it all needs to work together so that you can please customers and make more sales. All businesses must figure out the following for themselves.
- Put Your Customers Needs First – Everything you do must be thought of and seen from your customer’s perspectives, not yours or your workers’. If your workers are not on the same page they might accidentally insult your customer. Create a mission statement that you can use to share your vision with your team. Using a customer relationship management (CRM) service that works with your shopping cart will help.
- Be Able to Explain How Your Solution Is Different – Everyone in your industry is marketing to your customers, often offering the same things that you are. But, if you can explain how you are different you will win the sale. The only way to do that is to continuously watch the competition, incorporating the lessons learned into your product development and delivery.
- Distribute Your Products/Services How Your Customers Want Them – The channels you use to sell your products or services are important, too. If you are not selling where your customer is, you will not succeed. You may need to invest in professional shopping cart software or have something built especially, but it should work with your CRM system so that sales and customer service can communicate.
- Know How you will Advertise and Market – When you put all the above together, which ways will work best to advertise and market your business? Will you use a website, a blog, video, pay-per-click marketing, email lists or something else? Can your CRM help better segment your market?
- Understand Your Budget Inside and Out – Everything comes down to money. You can only do what is within your budget to do. If you are on a shoestring right now, do not waste time looking at solutions outside that budget
- Ensure Strategies Are Doable – Each part of your business will start with a strategy, the big idea, and you may have to tone these down based on your budget and resources.
- Know What Tactics you will Use to Reach Your Goals – Tactics are based on strategy and what consumers will respond to.
- Understand How It All Works Together – Finally, you need to know how all these activities will work together effortlessly. How People, Process, and Technolgy works is that you define your process based on your strategy and tactics, then you select the right technology, and then train your people to follow the process and use the technology.
The aim is to put together the strategy, operations, finance and marketing of your business in a way that each works together seamlessly. When you make a list of everything you need to do in your business, it is important to then seek out solutions that help these items work together. Remember, it’s all People, Process, and Technology.