Email marketing is very effective. Some people believe that email marketing is literally the most effective form of marketing that ever existed. But, you may be missing a lot of opportunities from this form of marketing if you’re not setting everything up right. Here are 9 things that you can check right now…
- Untargeted List: If you’ve spent time building your list using lead bait that is not targeted and focused enough, you may have a lot of freebie seekers on your list. To clear your list, run an aggressive and targeted campaign to get them to pay attention and if they don’t, cycle them off your email list.
- Meaningless “From” Name: Set up a “from” name that makes sense to your email recipients. Many people use their real name, and this has proved to be one of the best choices. You can also make it personal by using a name that means something to the audience like ‘Your Life Coach’ or something that speaks to them in that way.
- Weak Subject Lines: Most people don’t open emails that they feel are to sales oriented. Therefore, put something in the subject line that directly tells them what’s inside, and makes them want to read more. Break up your list and test at least two different subject lines to see what works best.
- Poorly Worded Opening Sentence: Most people view part of your messages on the view screen of their email software. What do they see when looking? Make it interesting enough right up front so that they want to open it to read more.
- Lack of Personalization: Even when audiences know that personalization is automated, they still prefer it over the lack of it. Personalization increases click-through rates enormously. Make sure it is working properly. Wrongly coded personalization is worse than no personalization. Test your messages.
- Broken Links: Nothing is worse than having a great message, a perfect call to action, fabulous subject lines and getting people to click through… and the link is broken. That’s why testing messages before sending them out are very important for your success with email marketing.
- Not Using Analytics: Your email marketing software offers the ability to test much different analytics, from open rates to click-through rates, and more. Learn how to set it up to work for you so that you can use that information to improve your marketing.
- Emails That Are Too Long: While long blog posts are a big deal today, long emails aren’t. People get bored reading emails that don’t get to the point. Avoid emails that are much longer than 450 to 500 words. Get to the point.
- Bad Formatting: This is yet another reason to test how your emails look on a variety of systems. Make sure you check for formatting issues. Formatting that makes the email hard to read, lack of word wrapping, and unresponsive messages ALL lose clicks.
If you’re making any of these mistakes, you can start right now fixing these problems. The hardest one to fix is the proper targeting of your market, but the rest can be fixed today with just a few tweaks.